Visit the biggest Gothic palace in the world ranked as a UNESCO World Heritage site !
Overlooking the city and the Rhône river, the Rocher des Doms presents an exceptional set of monuments including the Saint Bénezet Bridge, (the famous « Pont d’Avignon »), the Ramparts, the Petit Palais, the Cathedral and the impressive walls of the Popes’ Palace flanked by four mighty towers. This architectural group has been ranked by UNESCO: « world heritage for humanity ».
The Palace of the Popes stands as the mighty symbol of the church’s influence throughout the western Christian world in the 14th century. Construction was started in 1335 and completed in less than twenty years under the leadership of two builder popes, Benedict XII and his successor Clement VI. The Popes’ Palace is the biggest Gothic palace in all of Europe (15,000 m2 of floor space, which is the equivalent of 4 Gothic cathedrals).
The visitor can see over 20 rooms, scenes of historic events, in particular the pope’s private chambers and the frescoes painted by the Italian artist Matteo Giovannetti. The Popes’ Palace also offers the visitor continuous cultural activities throughout the year.
-From May 19th to June 30th and from September 1st to December 31st: every day from 10 Am to 5 Pm (last time slot 4 Pm)
-From July 1st to August 30th: every day from 10 Am to 6 Pm (last time slot 5 Pm)
During High Season, reservation possible of the last time slot only on site at the ticket office of the Palace of the Popes.
GOOD TO KNOW
-You need to choose the date of your visit and your access hour by contacting the Avignon Tourist Office / Booking department +33(0)432743274. All visitors will be required to book a time slot to visit the museum, including the Avignon City Pass and the Vaucluse Provence Pass
-The Histopad is included in the price
-The Popes' Palace is open every day of the year.
-For sanitary and safety reasons, visitors will be required to wear a mask
-Tickets valid for the selected date only
-Mobile voucher accepted
-All tickets purchased online are time-stamped and nominative; you may therefore be asked to provide proof of identity.
They are only valid for the service, date and time selected. They cannot be used to skip the queue but do guarantee access to the Pope's Palace of the time shown on the ticket. Any holder of an online ticket who does not arrive within the allocated time slot for admission to the Pope'sPalace shall be subject to the same admission and waiting conditions as visitors without tickets.
Due to a large number of steps, the visit to the monument is not accessible to people with reduced mobility.
Full price 12 euros
Reduced price 10 euros : - Children between 8 and 17- University students (must present their Student Card with current dates)- Senior citizens over 60 (must present an ID card proving date) - Large families (for all members of the family, must present their “Famille Nombreuse” card) - Handicapped persons up to 80 % (must present their Card) - Holders of the CEZAM Card - Groups: over 20 persons (1 accompanier free of charge for 20 paid entrances) - School Groups: over 10 persons (1 accompanier free of charge for 10 paid students) - University students (must present their Student Card with current dates) - Senior citizens over 60 (must present an ID card proving date)
- Free of charge for children under 8 years old - Avignonnais on Sundays from September to June -Holders of the "Key to the Palace" - Handicapped persons more then 80 % (must present their Card) - Journalist.
// COVID INFO //
- Installation of a device for distancing from the forecourt to the shelf (floor marking >1m50).
- Mask must be worn from age 11. Masks are distributed at the entrance for visitors who do not have one.
- Poles, ramps and other potentially impacted areas will be cleaned throughout the day by a dedicated flying team
- Sanitary facilities: 1 accessible space, at the level of the Cloister Benedict XII. Toilets monitored, controlled and cleaned very regularly.
- Some rooms are currently closed to visitors: Low Treasure – Kitchen – Room of the Cameraman – VIP Terrace .
- No dragons (histopad cord)
- No baby carriers available.
- Please note: The gardens of the Palace are no longer accessible on the visit circuit from 17h but remain freely accessible, every day (except Thursdays and Fridays) until 18h, by the exterior entrance "Manutention" located at the rear of the monument.
Thank you for your understanding.